Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A morning Run

This morning, I was supposed to be out for a ride on my bike but I didn't get to because, surprisingly, Jeff wanted to go out for a run and asked to company him. SO I woke him up for the run as he had instructed. Jeff wanna compete in Sarawak Triathlon 2008 as well, so he has just begun his first training today.

My brother, Jeff, has been out of competition for a long time because there never seemed to be a point for him to do so. But somehow, I guess it is life that changes his mind that got him to do this competition. I didn't hesitate to help him, as a brother I'm very happy to know that my brother also wanna go something that I have always done, thus it is indeed a great brotherhood that I felt. So I'm doing what I can to help Jeff out with his training and hopefully he can do well in the competition.

I've told him to run on the track for a start, as it will not injure him, but he insisted to run in the park instead. I would usually run from my house to the park as it is not far away, but Jeff insisted to take the car so I ran to the park myself and waited for him there. Jeff did tell me he wanna run 5km only, but I told him to run longer than that because it is to develop his base fitness and endurance. But, as usual, he is the kind that never listens.

As I was running, only for 45mins in my training, I saw Jeff was running too fast at the start. Then, I knew he could not finish so indeed he stopped right after 2.5km. Well, I could see he was exhausted. I did tell him to keep it steady and don't push too hard in the beginning because he has not warm up yet, but he didn't listen. So after I finished mine, I saw him sitting on the bench catching his breath and he was telling how exhausting it is. But it's alright, as this is only his first training and perhaps he has learned his lesson for not listening.

While I was running I met my friend, Leong, as well. He was running with a girl, and I've seen that girl before as she is a good runner. She doesn't seem local obviously because it is to my knowledge that no girls in Miri can run, if there is please show me and prove it to me. She has a great running form and very constant, she didn't seem to struggle as she was very calm. Thus, from there I knew she's a good runner. When I had finished as I was doing my cool down, Leong came to tell me who that girl is. I was quite surprise somehow; she's Japanese, and she used to be a marathon or long distance runner, she has won races, and she's really good according to Leong. I was speechless for a moment, as I thought she's Singaporean or from China and no wonder she looked so fit and lean. After all, she’s a good runner and perhaps she can be an inspiration to many Miri girls.

By Jack Ho

No comments: