Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A defensive trigger

I was out for a long ride last Thursday with the group, beautiful morning it was. The trip was a Miri-Bekenu-Miri, roughly around 100km, so I made it a 3hrs endurance ride for my training. There were about 12 of us in a group; everybody was on a Labour Day's holiday so everybody was very keen to ride. We started out around 7 a.m. as planned, even though it wasn't that sunny but the head wind coming from the South was certainly strong. But before the ride even started we have already said it should be an easy ride, nothing. But I changed my mind; I wanted it to be nastier.

I have always been the one to break the rules, because I got trainings to do and I can't be held back just to tag along with others and let them slow me down. So I was quite bad, somehow. 15 mins into the warm, I was going steady and still didn't bother to do much yet. But I could see a few guys in front of me keep turning their heads backwards to see if I were to break away from the group, it was too early to do so. So I kept staying behind the group and kept a 2m distant as not to draft too much because I gotta do my warm up. So 20mins later when I realized the guys in front were going too slow, so yes I did it again, I paddle and over took the 11 of them and headed to the front. I wasn't gonna break way so I told the guys in front not to worry as I just wanted to lead. So I kept my pace steady and went all the way down to Bekenu.

We had a stop in Bekenu, as they wanted breakfast. So a short break for a little breakfast, then we off back to Miri again. Coming back was rather easy as we got tail wind right behind us, so I was warming myself up again for 10mins. Then one of the guy who was quite impatient then took the lead at the hilly part, it was Ah Bao. He would never last for long because he's only a sprinter and has got no endurance at all. So I moved myself to the last guy in the pack so as to keep myself calm down and not to rush, because I wanted to let them have the fun first. But I got even more impatient somehow, I was dying for speed. Then, half-way through I overtook all of them at a speed of 55km/hr and I told the guys in front to follow. In my mind was "Haha…catch me if you can!", I was a bit nasty at some point. After I took the lead, I didn't bother to look backwards at first but one thing for sure was Mat (my coach) would be behind me. So I kept a steady, very constant, at 48km/hr for the rest of the 20km. Then Mat moved in front of me for only bout 2mins as he asked me to rest for awhile because I had to break away for the last 5km. So 2mins later, I broke away from the group as he has commanded.

I will never forget what during that last 5km, it was something unforgettable and it made me feel great and disbelief. I was going 55km/hr on constant then, because I didn't wanna let anybody to follow. So I was pushing myself really hard, as I'm already a bit tired. But I kept going and didn't stop at all, I could feel the pain and soreness in my legs muscles. My breath was dying out, and I could hear nothing more than my heartbeats and breathing. For a moment, my eyesight became blur and I was slowly falling into asleep. I could feel was going to black out, and I was dropping my head onto my handle bar. But suddenly, a voice so loud shouted at me in my head. "Jack! Wake up and be yourself, do not forget who you are and what you are!” I was far more awake the moment I heard that and no one else said that to me. I could the adrenaline rushed through my blood stream and my heart was pumping mad, it all happened so fast. So I went on reaching 58km/hr and finished my breakaway training.

I felt great after that, the training was really awesome somehow. I didn't really feel tired after that as I could feel the adrenaline was going through my body the whole day, felt hyper at some point. Kath gave me a call in the evening and we talked about what happen in my training. So she told it was basically the body's defense mechanism that triggers such functions in order to prevent the body from shutting down but pumping more adrenaline into the body to stimulate the working system of the body. So it was more like a back-up generator anyway. Well, at least I've learn something this time and knowing that I can always go beyond my limit to progress myself more.

By Jack Ho

No comments: