Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Destiny or Decision

There are many things in Life that happens in ways that we do know and we do not know. Many people have said things do happen as it is destined by God, for the path He leads us to. But, sometimes or most of the times, things to do happen when it is us who make it so. I'm not a skeptic about God's words or power for it has been with us for long, yet I am always questioned by many things that have happened to me.

I remember this incident very well as it was a week before the Chinese New Year this year. On the Thursday night, as usual, I would go out cycling with the group for a night ride. I always take it as a training session with the group because with many cyclists around I could train more. Hence, the idea of that night's ride was to develop my speed and endurance. I was going fast that night as I broke away from the group for a distant, I felt great at first so I continue with my target and what I had set in my mind to. So clearly, I was doing really well with what I have planned and just felt going stronger and stronger. When we almost reached half-way, I thought I could just slow down for awhile and continue with the speed later, but suddenly fate just changed in a blink of a second as it all happened so fast. I heard Nick screamed and yelled "Watch out, batang ahead!" then I lifted my head up to see, but I was too late. I hit the wood and lost control, and immediately I could feel I was lifted off into the air then the very next thing was I landed on the road really hard with strong impact and was rolling on the road. "Oh shit!” I said as I was landing onto the road. But that very moment very when I flipped from my bike I saw something very unusual and it just happened so fast before I even landed onto the road, I saw many people in my life smiling at me and their faces were so clear that I knew who were smiling at me, every single one of them. The very moment I landed and hit my head onto the road, the vision just disappeared. I was lying on the road as I just couldn't move for awhile, I could only hear my breathing and heartbeat and I was wondering if I was still alive. Everybody was shouting for me, "Jack crashed! Jack crashed!" and I only heard that when I sit myself up. The first thought that came to my mind was if my bike was alright, so I quickly rose up to check out my precious bike. I was glad my bike was fine after all, yet everybody kept telling me to sit down and don't move. I still couldn't hear clearly what they were all telling me to do, all I knew was I had to see my bike and catch my breath. I was breathing really hard, yet didn't feel the pain. When I look at my knees and hands, all I could see was covered in blood. There was no pain at all, as I was still in shock and the adrenaline was still pumping. But the pain felt so horrible when Michael took out the anti-septic spray, I was in agony and the worst pain of my life. I swore to myself that I would never wanna take that spray again because the pain was so unbearable that I nearly fainted. Really bloody it was, yet the thought of whether I was still alive or not just kept questioning me. It was to everybody's realize that I was 15m away from where I crashed that I had rolled, it was long and I never thought I could survive. So then, I still took the courage and energy I had to continue with my training and cycled back home.

So, was I destiny to experience that crash and live to tell how be careful we shall be or a lesson to be learn? Or was it just another careless mistake I made for not being careful? Perhaps, I would say it was a careless mistake because I was having an intensive training that night, and it has always been dangerous to ride in the dark. So as I felt tired during the training, I didn't really bother to live my head up all the time before you just wanna look down to catch a breath and relax for awhile. Thus, I really think I wasn't being careful enough. But yet to think about what I saw during the moment before I crashed, it was very unusual. So why did I get to see such thing? People always say the moment before you die, you will see everything in your life. But what I saw was unusual enough because I saw every single people I know and they were all smiling at me. Was I hallucinating because I was tired? Yet, still why did it only happen to me and not others? There were others following closely behind me that moment but yet I was the only one who crashed and the others did not. Did destiny really turn my fate? Or was it another lesson from God to let me know how precious life can be? Yes, I admit that after the crash I started to realize how precious life is. But no matter what happened back in the crash, it has been something that I will never forget because it has allowed me to learn so much of everything in life. Yet, the question still goes on and on "Was it destiny or seconds of decision made?"

I also had this conversation when I was out with Ming the other night in Coffee Bean, because we were talking about how we met as it was a little funny. I met Ming Ming Ming while I was in the Bike Exhibition the other weekend in Parkson. Actually, I've already spoke to her once when I went to Optiprimus with Gilbert and Michael but it was just a visit to see the products of the shop so she was the salesgirl who attended me. Then on that Sunday, I saw her passed by and so we greeted with a wave. Then, I asked her to come over for awhile just to show her around of the bikes we exhibited. That was how we got to know each other well and became friends as soon as we introduced ourselves. So we took the pleasure to have each other's contact and became friends since then. During the drink in Coffee Bean that night, we wondered how we could ever meet each other because we have so many things in common. Thus, the questions became very clear whether it was destiny, or coincidence, or just merely decision. We both couldn't really answer as we did know that it was something really hard to answer, as we will never know I supposed. So I made a conclusion to Ming Ming instead, as we were just too curious. Since we have so many things in common yet we are really good friends for now, and our friendship is even more than lovers, so I realize the moment I met, perhaps it was just destiny or and coincidence later as we got to know each other even better. But yet it was still a decision that I took to ask her to come over to look at the bikes, and the conversations we had was perhaps destiny after all.

So you see, life comes in many ways after all because these are one of those many elements that have made up into our daily lives. Destiny, it is a journey where we walk in our lives and yet it is in the control of our own because God does not only assign a path to you be He has also a guideline provided for us all. Decision, God or anyone else does not make decision for us as the choices can be given but yet it is still depending on ourselves to make that decision. Perhaps, I have already made my decision even before I had the crash and not being careful about riding at night so it was a lesson to be learned. And as for my faith with Ming Ming, coincidence between our common factors? Perhaps, it is destiny after all.

By Jack Ho

No comments: