Sunday, June 24, 2007

Miri International Triathlon 2007

It was my first for 2007 this year, what a kick off. It's been six months I haven't been racing, and 3 months of base training after recovering from the injury. But I must say, it was a great race!

I had a very relax swim, a very furious cycle leg, and a burnt out run! The weather was hot and humid in Marina Bay, because the area was like a desert as there's no development yet. But yet, the wind was strong outside. I didn't expect much for this year's race, because I haven't reached elite training level yet as I'm only in base training level, so all I wanted to do was to finish the race for a 2007 kick off.

The race was in the bay, it was nice, lovely calm water. The course was 2km instead of the standard 1.5km, so many people were struggling. My swim was long and relax, but I had a good chase after a couple of guys back in the water. After the swim, I sprinted to the transition area without feeling tired or exhausted, I was still very calm and going easy. I had my gears on and push my bike off to the road. The cycle leg was fun, and FURIOUS! I was cycling in a group of 5 initially, but we were going constantly as we didn't wanna burn out and would like to save the legs for the run. So everything was smooth not untill the when we almost reach the 20km turning point, it was furious when Malaysia's best caught up; Wong Ah Thiam, Sharom, and Razani. They were right behind us at first, but then they started to sprint up the hill before reaching the turning point, so they were breaking away from our group thus I quickly pedal hard and fast to draft behind them. Two of us made it, and 3 got left behind on the way sprinting up. Right after the turning point, it was a furious ride. We were riding in Peloton style instead of Triathlon. So more or less it was like a road bike or Time Trial racing, the speed was about 50km.h to 55km/h. It was fast, we had no chance to relax because if we do either one of us would lose and get left behind from the group. Then, we caught up with the first individual group, initially they were roughly 12km away from us, but because of our furious ride with Malaysia's best we caught up with them in the end. Thus, we ended in a huge group arriving at the transition area. I love Casandra, she was great!

Most of us were burnt out from the cycling, but I felt good because I knew I did good on the ride. So the run I didn't push too hard, so I was just going easy as I didn't want my injury to return. It was my first time racing using racers, it's hard to race in them though I train in them, only sometimes. But now I know that racers are not easy to use, gotta get use to them shyt! So in the end, I ended up 9th placed, and 3rd in the Sarawak Category. Not bad though because I've only been doing base training, nothing hard yet. But this race let me know I'm ready to go up another level, thus I will have upgraded training soon. I love it, and I wanna race more understand myself and my body. I know I can do it as long as I want to. The next race is PD, and it's only 3 weeks away. It's going to be an ASIAN CUP Series race, so it's a big event. Time to bust down some move!

Aye!

1 comment:

fook said...

well done bro, see u in PD.