Friday, November 11, 2011

The Far Side

There is always something about the horizon, and it never feels too far away. Another cold weather today, a peaceful day I must say - so I headed out to the beach right after work for a swim. The swimmers were there too, because there is a triathlon tomorrow, which I won't be competing surprisingly for the first time. I guess I am just not really in the mood to compete, so I will just stick to my training as it is. It has been awhile since I last did a real sea swim, so I couldn't really expect how the condition would be today.

When I got to the beach, it turn out to be looking fine and slightly come. But never let the ocean's wave trick you, because from shore there is a huge difference by just looking at it. But I had the confident that the current wouldn't be too rough by looking at the pattern of the wave and tide. We went off as soon as we got stretched, and the moment I set my feet into the cold sand and sea water - that very moment - I felt I've came home to the ocean. The ocean has always been a placed I grew up with, and it never felt strange or remote to me. It always feels so warmth and comfortable to be in it, which I love it so much.

So we began to swam, as far as we could, since the weather was good. There were waves about 2 feet, not a very high swell, yet the tide was falling and rip curl was quite strong. I really had fun swimming in the ocean, especially when the high wave came, then suddenly I was getting caught in the rip curl while swimming half way through. For a moment, I was spinning around vigorously like getting twisted all around, there was no harm to me because beneath was just pure sand and no reef. While getting spin by rip curl, it felt kinda fun actually because it was totally unexpected and I was getting caught in it all of a sudden. But I was able to regain myself quickly because never ever panic if something happens, just remain calm and in control. Within moments I got myself back into swimming through my way to the 1.5km mark. I gotta say that the waves were good enough for surfing today, I was telling myself I should really have a surfboard and it is useful during a monsoon season like this - it's fun! So when we got to the 1.5km mark, we took a break just to loosen up a bit. I felt I could go further and reach the 2.5km mark, but I guess not today since I got junior swimmers with me to be taken care of. So after a few minutes of rest, we headed back to where we started then our swim will be in total of 3km.

As I swam back, I was breathing on my right most of the time so, pretty much, I was looking at the beautiful horizon of sundown. The horizon was appearing at purple-orange in color, how I wish I had a camera with me, but I couldn't carry any. While swimming and looking at the horizon, it got me feeling in the middle of the ocean and in full freedom. It feels really different to be in the ocean, because it is a whole different that you just don't feel on land. But when I turn to breathe on the left side, I could see the shore and it felt different - no freedom. It is a whole alienated world down there in the ocean, it is filled with wonders, harmony and peace. The horizon got me wondering the far side of it, though I know it is another country, yet Atlantis existed once.

The ocean is truly my home, I love being in water - I feel resurrected each time I get to swim in the freely. It is a world that has no boundary, you may go as far as you want. So we finished our swim at 3km in total, it was really a good session. The last time I swam like this was in 2007 where Jason and Nic were still around, and we would swim on every Friday. Ever since then they had transferred, no one else swam with me again, but not till now. It looks like I'm gonna do this weekly again, and it's really good training.

I love the Ocean, Poseidon is my Lord. It is Freedom that I live for, then it is Freedom that I find.

No comments: