Saturday, October 4, 2008

When a mile seems very long

Gently, the wind blew across my face yet it felt dry and humid for a second, and the sweat felt stingy in my eyes. My eyes kept blinking in order to remind myself not to fall asleep or shut my eyes to blackout. My lips were dried, they felt so dry as the scorching heat burn every little inch of it. And my tongue felt dry as well, with air gasping in and out, my throat were dying from thirst, yet my lung kept breathing heavily.

My shoulder felt heavy, and the pain given by the heat felt as if someone has been pinching me all the while. My chest worked like a machine, it kept pumping for more air non-stop and it will never stop. Yet, the heat increased the weight on my shoulder as it felt heavier from time to time.

My toes felt numb, and my feet were sore. My legs felt tired, but it got stronger as it kept running forward. Again, the heat stabbed my thigh deeply when the burning sensation could be felt.

It was under the hot sun where I was running, a run where it is part of my routine. The heat and the dry-air could literally be felt sucking out all the fluids in my body as I felt like a dried sponge. The road seemed like a hot pan as heat could be seen released from far, it felt burning hot as if I was running on fire. Every step being pushed forward felt so difficult, but then that is only what I felt.

"Why am I doing this?" I asked myself.

"Keep running Jack, keep running." I said to myself.

"Why suffer and torture yourself, Jack?" again, I asked myself in a dying voice.

"Reward will come later, it's only a little hardship." I told myself.

Then, I began to realize the reality surrounded me...it is all thoughts, just thoughts that made me weak and tired. My heart was still beating fast and strong like ever, and the voice of every single beat started to sound like the ringing bell of the Sunday church. It is then I woke up to reality, it is then I got to see the real side of the world, it is then I saw myself running.

I started to push myself, leaning forward, empower my legs, and start running with even faster pace. My breathing started to work smoothly, and my sweat dropped like heavy rain. My fist gripped even harder, it felt like a raging power that rush within me. I felt unstoppable; the speed and the rush on my blood, it all felt even faster. I was running, running in reality on earth. What surrounded me were just obstacles which they represented challenges, challenges that meant a game for me. It was fun, I smiled to myself as it took all my pain away and that is when I knew I was alive to live another and do what I do best.

What you think is only what you put in your mind of visualization. The reality bites, but yet it kept me going as the tougher it gets the stronger I am. Never stop believing as of there is hope then let there be miracles.

What did I do when I finish my run? I smiled, and that was just another day of my life pumping my heart out to the joyous moment of another story to tell. Pushing through the limit where a mile seems to be a distant.

by Jack Ho

No comments: